During the course of your kids’ life, there will be many moments when they have to rely on other people. It is important for your kids to learn that they need to repay kindness with kindness, and one way to do that is by giving those people appreciation gifts
With how consumerism and capitalism has taken over many aspects of the world, it is not hard to find many gifts your kids could give as a token of thanks for other people that has helped them. But there is actually another way, and that is by giving out handmade gifts.
Handmade gifts might not compare to store-bought items in terms of quality. However, by creating the gifts by themselves, your kids can pour all their feelings into the items, and that is much more expensive than any store-bought gifts. That is why, today we will try to create some unique DIY so your kids can start giving gifts to people important to them before the holiday!
DIY Thank You Cards
When you want your kids to express their gratitude, it is always a good choice to go straightforward and create a thank you card as their appreciation gifts. To create this, all you need to prepare are:
- 8.5 x 11 inch Cardstocks
- Drawing tools of their choice
- White crayon
We did not give you the amount of cardstocks you need to prepare, just in case your kids need more. 1 cardstock can be cut in half to create 2 thank you cards, so you can prepare accordingly.
As for the drawing tools, it is best to not limit your kids’ imagination. Let them play with crayons, watercolour paints, colour pencil, or even colour marker.
The steps to create this appreciation gift is:
- Cut the cardstock in half. Make sure you are the one to do the cutting, or if you want to let your kids do it, keep an eye on them.
- Fold the cut cardstock in half to create a card.
- Start creating the thank you message. Let them draw the background first if they wanted to. Use the white crayon to write down or draw messages above the colorful background.
- Repeat the process as much as your kids wanted.
The cards your kids create will be unique for the person receiving it. That way, it will give their appreciation gifts a sense of sincerity. And nothing is more important when you are giving out gifts other than sincerity.
Before long, Christmas is coming. While there is almost no snow in Indonesia, Christmas is always associated with snow! So, why not create snowflakes from paper as an appreciation gift to those you are thankful for? To create this, you would need:
Now that you have finished preparing the items and supplies, here are the steps you could follow:
- Make a paper square out of the paper. If it is hard to create a perfect square, it is alright to use square origami paper.
- Fold the paper diagonally to make a triangle.
- Then, fold it again diagonally to create a smaller triangle.
- For the next step, we will have to fold the triangle into 3 sections. This is where the protractor comes into play. You can use it to divide the triangle into 30-degree angle each and mark them.
- Once you have marked all of them, fold the left section first, then the right section.
- Flip it around so you can see the horizontal line.
- Cut the horizontal line.
- Then, cut out random shapes while keeping the paper folded.
- Once you are done cutting, unfold the paper.
- If you want to create another, repeat the process from step 1.
It is optional, but you can throw some glitter to the snowflakes you have just created and make them extra sparkly!
Those are two ideas for DIY appreciation gifts you could help your kids create so they can express their gratitude to their peers, teachers, or even you! What did your kids create? Let us know! Leave some comments below!