Yesterday, we talked about how your children could help in preventing global warming. Today, let’s see how you could fight global warming at home! By doing the things we are going to list today, we could focus on making large-scale changes to some different areas in our house! Are you interested? Read on!
Reducing carbon footprint
One way to fight global warming at home is by reducing your carbon footprint, but what is carbon footprint? Basically, it is the total amount of greenhouse gases produced to support human activities be it directly or indirectly. But how do we reduce our carbon footprint?
There are a few ways to reduce our own carbon footprint and fight global warming at home, and the first way we can do is by adjusting the way we use our electricity. One of the things that you could do is by installing solar panels and switching to a cleaner energy provider. Some other things that you could do are:
- Replacing your light bulbs with LED light bulbs because they are much more energy efficient. Only 5% of that energy is wasted as heat, while 95% of the energy is converted directly to light.
- When possible, try opening your window to get fresh air rather than turning on the air conditioner.
- Before you leave the house, make sure you turn off the air conditioning or heating and the lights. That way, you can save more energy.
If you want to fight global warming at home, you can also start with your kitchen. The ways to do that are:
- Grow plants in your own garden or windowsill. Not only will it save you a few money, plants are also absorbing carbon dioxide.
- Start buying packaged food that uses less plastic.
- Reduce food waste. There are a few ways to do so, but one of them is to get creative with your leftovers and make something else out of them.
We usually take water for granted, especially when the rainy season comes. However, we should try to conserve water if we are trying to fight global warming at home. Some things that you could do to save water are:
- Use the leftover bath water to water your plants. You could also use the water you got from washing your dishes.
- You should not leave the water running. An example of this is when you are shampooing or applying soap to your body, you should turn off the faucet. Turn it back on only when you are going to rinse them.
Donate to the right organization
Of course it is hard to fight global warming at home, especially if you are the only person doing it. That is why, there are many organizations that help fight climate change and global warming. If you want to help them, you can do so by donating. One of those organizations is the World Wildlife Foundation (WWF). Despite their wildlife name, they also focus on the conservation of forests, because they believe forests are one of the world’s pillars that could help us fight back against the terror of global warming.